Transplant donors sought for Corte Madera man

For nearly four years, Peter Wronsky has been struggling with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. The family of the 60-year-old Corte Madera man is hopeful that a blood stem cell transplant will be a cure, and they are asking the community for help.

The family is seeking healthy people between the ages of 18 and 70 who are willing to be tested for a possible blood stem cell donation.

Potential donors can request a blood test kit by calling Tepnel Lifecodes at (800) 915-3695, ext. 2. After receiving the kit, you will then need to contact your local Blood Bank or your health provider’s lab to have a simple, quick blood test. If your blood is a match with Wronsky’s, more blood will need to be drawn to extract the stem cells, a painless procedure.

More than 30,000 children and adults in the United States are diagnosed with leukemia and other life-threatening diseases that could be possibly cured by a blood stem cell transplant. But only 30 percent of those have a perfect match from an immediate relative. Most of the remaining 70 percent must wait a long time to find a compatible donor and so many never do, according to the National Marrow Donor Program.

To contact Wronsky’s family, call Lore Zutraun, Wronsky’s mother, at (415) 924-9070.