In First Person: Separated by ocean, they meet by radio cable during war

Sign up for Weekday J and get the latest on what's happening in the Jewish Bay Area.

We met in 1943 by voice over the under-ocean radio cable, talking between London and New York regarding radio programs produced in London for rebroadcast in the United States.

Rhoda worked for the British Broadcasting Corporation in New York as a radio special-events news producer (mainly a savvy secretary). She handled and helped with news and information about U.S. armed forces stationed in England, debarking from there to Europe, about British rationing, victory gardening, Red Cross activities, etc. This information was rebroadcast over U.S. radio stations via the radio networks or independent stations.

Arthur was a war correspondent for what was then called the Blue Network (precursor to ABC). In the courtesies of those times, he was on loan to BBC in London to help them produce programs more in the American idiom — words and pronunciations were more alien then than now as the world was more separated than now.

We still knew each other only by voice. When Art then joined Mutual Broadcasting, he continued to cover the war in Europe, the arrival of American troops, the D-Day Invasion, and he went to India via the famed CBI route (China, Burma, India). He then was dispatched to the Pacific Theater of Operations to cover Gen. Douglas MacArthur. But first he came to New York and we finally met — face-to-face. It was uphill all the way from then on. We became engaged.

I continued with BBC in New York. Art went to Australia and accompanied MacArthur to the landing in Luzon, and up through the jungle to Manila. After Manila was regained, Art returned to the United States. We were married by a rabbi from Brooklyn March 31, 1945 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. Because the war was still on, the only place we could be together was in London. BBC sent me there, and Art was named head of the London office for Mutual Broadcasting.

So here we are, 51 years later, three children and three grandchildren later, seven cities, four careers later, in major sickness and mainly good health, from conservative lives to adventurous more liberal changes of lifestyles, here we are, 51 years later.

Our personal frontline battles have been few and always won in peace. Our only opponent now is the clock, and as in most things, we are in this last battle together.