People gather around the damaged car used by U.S.-based aid group World Central Kitchen, that was hit by an Israeli strike in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on April 2, 2024. (Photo/JTA-AFP via Getty Images)
People gather around the damaged car used by U.S.-based aid group World Central Kitchen, that was hit by an Israeli strike in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip on April 2, 2024. (Photo/JTA-AFP via Getty Images)

Israel says it killed 7 World Central Kitchen aid workers in Gaza in incident with sweeping ramifications

Sign up for Weekday J and get the latest on what's happening in the Jewish Bay Area.

(JTA) — Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel’s military was responsible for what he called a “tragic” and “unintentional” strike that killed seven workers affiliated with the international aid nonprofit World Central Kitchen who were delivering food in Gaza.

The organization, led by Chef Jose Andres and famous for feeding needy people in crisis situations around the world, said the workers had been killed by an Israeli strike despite having coordinated their operations with the army.

“This is not only an attack against WCK, this is an attack on humanitarian organizations showing up in the most dire of situations where food is being used as a weapon of war,” World Central Kitchen CEO Erin Gore said in a statement. “This is unforgivable.”

Netanyahu, in a brief video in Hebrew posted after his release from the hospital for a successful hernia operation, acknowledged Israel’s responsibility and pledged a probe into the incident.

Ron Kampeas

Ron Kampeas is the D.C. bureau chief at the Jewish Telegraphic Agency.